Effective as of today, Wednesday 15 July 2020, it is now compulsory for all citizens of and visitors to Spain to wear protective face masks.
The rules for complying with this are:
- All persons over 6 years of age are to wear a face mask when walking in the street, in any outdoor spaces and any closed spaces for public use or areas that are open to the public. This is mandatory and applies even where the 1.5 metre social distancing can be maintained.
- The obligation of wearing the facemask will not be applicable to those who suffer any health problem that could be aggrevated by wearing the facemask. Can’t you just hear the cacacachinging of the farmacia cash registers, as people flock to buy inhalers…..
- For people that practice sport on an individual basis, e.g. discus throwers, high jumpers, skiers, the obligation is waived. NB these are the writer’s examples as none were given in the publication from the Government.
- This one is going to be interesting to observe; masks are also mandatory on beaches and at swimming pools, however, the exceptions to this are:
- When actually swimming in a pool or the sea.
- When sunbathing, as long as the 1.5 metre social distancing is being adhered to.
- It will not be mandatory when private meetings are being held, no definition given here, but it is recommended that facemasks are used, even if the 1.5 metre social distancing is being adhered to.
Nothing else to say maybe don’t shoot the messenger. Although, the reader may be interested to know that this has caused a bit of a stir and debate with the Spence Clarke hikers, do we really have to wear facemasks on remote country trails, where we usually only encounter the rare other hiker or lost and confused tourist………..
Do note that the authorities tasked with implenting these rules are being handed a mere A4 or whatever, sheet with a list of dos and don’ts, with no real explanation as to how to implement the various regulations. We, therefore, expect some of them may be a tad over enthusiastic in their treatment of those who disobey. So probably best just to suck it up and adhere to the rules.
Thank you for reading, stay safe and healthy.